Senior Media Advisor
- Challenge yourself working in a complex field alongside a high-achieving team
- Support us to connect important public health messages about drugs to the community
- Expand our media coverage locally and internationally
- Part time, $85k – $100k (pro-rata) plus super and NFP salary packaging benefits
At Penington Institute, we believe in approaching drug use in a considerate and practical way to make individuals and families safer and healthier.
Frank and fiercely independent, we connect lived experience with research to improve the management of drugs – including alcohol and pharmaceuticals – through community engagement and knowledge sharing.
Our default as a society has been to pour scorn on those who use drugs and judge them harshly by seeing their problems as self-inflicted. But human beings are complex, and so is this issue.
Judging is easy. Helping is more of a challenge. Help us rise to the challenge by joining our team.
Reporting to the Director of Strategic Communications, the Senior Media Advisor will play a critical role in assisting the Penington Institute achieve its strategic objectives.
We’re looking for someone who wants to put their exceptional media skills and expertise to work in a complex public health area. You will have a solid understanding of the challenges we face supporting approaches to drug use that promote safety and human dignity and you will be driven to shape the discourse around drugs.
Based out of Penington Institute’s inner-city office, the role offers flexibility for hybrid working arrangements and great opportunities for collaboration with a high achieving and supportive team.
- You will love being on top of what’s happening in the media on all thing’s drugs
- You will have a passion for finding, packaging up, and pitching engaging stories to media, aligned with organisational goals
- You will be fast managing incoming media enquiries and first to respond to relevant issues raised in the media
- You have a desire to give back to society by undertaking impactful, cause-based work
- Experience and knowledge of international media landscapes is highly desired
The Senior Media Advisor is responsible for developing and driving our overarching media strategy connecting important public health messages with the broader community and shaping the discourse around drugs. Key responsibilities include:
- Maintain a high level of awareness of the political, social and media landscapes, monitoring emerging topics and identifying opportunities;
- Cultivate and maintain strong working relationships with the media;
- Develop and pitch stories to targeted journalists and outlets on a regular basis;
- Respond to media enquiries in a timely fashion, developing and executing responses in collaboration with the CEO and broader team;
- Produce high quality media materials including media releases, key messages, statements, pitches, news stories, opinion pieces, etc as needed;
- Provide media briefings, debriefings, briefing notes, and advice to Penington Institute spokespeople, primarily the CEO;
- Represent Penington Institute at functions where media engagement is likely;
- Manage Penington Institute’s media monitoring and reporting.
The role contributes to the broader objectives of Penington Institute and is key to supporting our ability to address and reduce harms associated with drug use.
As a small organisation, a hands-on approach and a willingness to chip in and get things done are essential requirements.
A competitive salary package will be offered to the successful candidate commensurate with experience (full salary packaging benefits are available).
To apply, please submit your application to Anna Rolle, email@example.com
Please ensure your application includes a cover letter that overviews your skills, experience and why you want to work for Penington Institute as well as a current CV.
For a confidential discussion about this role, please contact Anna Northey, Director of Strategic Communications on 0400 640 622
We are hoping to recruit quickly so there is no deadline. Apply as soon as possible to be considered for the role.